Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - jump start pack

Thread: jump start pack
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 18th June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Aldi were doing what looks to be exactly the same unit (though branded differently) as a special for about the same price a while back, so it sounds like you've got a bit of a bargain. I think I paid about 15 quid for the one without the compressor a few months before the one with the built in compressor came out.

The only thing with the compressor (and most compressors to be honest) is that the gauge is hopelessly inaccurate. If you're going to use it routinely to top up your tyres, then you'll have to keep stopping and checking with a separate gauge (or overinflate and deflate to the correct pressure.) But for something to chuck in the boot in case you have a flat battery or tyre, it'll do a grand job.

I used to have a separate 12v compressor with a standard analogue gauge, but stopped using it in favour of a Halfords one with a built-in digital pressure gauge that stops the motor when the desired pressure is reached. Even this doesn't agree 100% with the Laguna's tyre pressure sensors, but I've worked out that if I inflate to about 1.5psi over the recommended pressure, the car reports the correct value.

Edit: Just to add - the advert in the link says the compressor can be used for blowing up inflatable boats etc. If you've ever tried using a tyre compressor for this, then you'll know it takes about an hour (and they recommend you shutting the compressor off after more than a few minutes continuous use.) Just in case anyone else ever makes the mistake - if you want to inflate a boat, or even a decent sized rubber ring, buy a proper pump or electric inflater. They can't produce the pressure that a compressor can, but they shift a much higher volume of air.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome