Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #384 of (permalink) Old 4th September 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Just to update this a little.

I had mine swapped yesterday.

The old switch (I still have) has the part number 432 972 C stamped into the bottom molding in white.

The new switch hasa black bottom molding, metal clips to hold it into the panel and a paper label on it with:
8200911338 J
Some of the no 8's may be zero's but its hard to tell.

Also if you hold the switch with the pins facing you, at the bottom (catch at the top).
Then the bottom left pin is missing.

THis should help anyone identify that they have already had the change done.

It was a simple switch change, no change to the loom.

Me being used to repairing down to component level & switches n all I decided to strip this switch so that I could compare it to the picures previously posted in this thread.

Well, the switch I took out is nothing whatsoever like the burnt out switches posted here.

So I got even more inquisitive and decided to look at the new switch.

AND ITS EXACTLY THE SAME! as the burnt out switch shown here.

Now I'm worried.

Hang on while I strip the new switch down again

Ok there is one slight difference, the new switch has got solder resist in the area of the connector.
(Solder resist is the green covering on the circuit board).

The use of solder resist may in fact be enough to prevent shorting of pins & causing the burning in the first place.

There does look to be a completely different layout inside the switch, some of the tracks are thinner (making them fusable in case of high loads) and they are routed differently.

However, this does not explain why it is the same as the burnt out one linked to above?

Hmm, I'm putting the new one back together for now & if my curiosity gets the better of me (and I have time) or its needed I'll maybe think of drawing out how it works in the future.

Here are some pics to compare the two switches.

Although the old switch has plenty of green/corrosion on it, no doubt through moisture ingress, I have to say that the new switch will NOT be completely moisture proof. At the connector end there is a tab that has a clear access path for moisture ingress, allowing similar build up.
Also there is access through the inside of the connector bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch_compare1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	8250   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch_insides.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	8251  
Currently in mattius's garage:
Yay! NO longer burdened by a renault. Pity - seats were comfy.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome