Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Airbag resistance? Seatbelt question?

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 5th September 2009
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
The air-bag and pretensioner testing seems to vary quite a bit around the EU countries for some reason.
I live in Northern Ireland and took my Lag II for MOT a few days ago (04/09/09). The examiner checked the air-bag light illuminated when the ignition was switched on and then went out. I asked what aspect of this would constitute a fail - he told me that if the light didn't illumiate or didn't go off by itself then they would assume there was a fault as this sequence of events would have been present when the vehicle was granted a "Type Approval Certificate". (TAC) He further explained the same applied to the ABS system warning light. He also stressed that the test certificate was issued to the vehicle and not to the driver - ownership or who drive the vehicle did not bias their testing and they had to consider that the vehicle could be sold on to an unsuspecting buyer and should he pass a vehicle in such a situation he or his employers could be held liable if any aspect failed in the future.

One member of the forum who lives in Spain had her car fail the Spanish test because the air-bag light didn't illuminate and subsequent investigations revealed that the warning light had been removed to hide a fault were an air-bag had been removed following an accident.

P.S. - As a side note to this post I also enquired if a four-wheel drive vehicle (a Scenic RX4 for instance) was presented for examination with its rear drive-shaft removed would the vehicle fail and he was adamant it would be refused a certificate. He explained the reason being again the vehicle would not conform to its original TAC. This applied to all vehicles such as Land Rovers and commercial trucks, etc.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome