Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II locking fuel filler flap

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 19th June 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Laguna II locking fuel filler flap

I was just filling up with diesel, when I must have strayed that little bit too far from the car and the automatic locking tripped. Surprisingly, it's the first time this has happened since I've had the car, so it's the first time I've had the opportunity to notice that the locking pin for the fuel flap is absent.

And by absent, I don't mean 'not working', I mean 'not there' - there's the hole that it's supposed to come through, but you can see straight through that and the locking assembly is missing!

Just to confirm, I parked the car, walked away, let it lock and walked back. Sure enough I was able to open the fuel flap without first unlocking the car.

I suppose there's a possibility that the mechanism has come lose and it's fallen off, but I suspect they just forgot to install it in the first place. In any case, if you have a Renault that's supposed to have a locking filler flap (as opposed to a key operated lock in the top of the filler cap) I'd recommend checking just to make sure that you can't open the flap when the doors are locked.

Edit: Just done a bit more investigating, and it is there after all. It just doesn't activate with the auto locking! If I lock the car with the keycard then the locking pin shoots into place. If I just walk away from the car and let it lock itself, the fuel flap stays unlocked.
So if you have a Laguna II with handsfree and rely on the handsfree feature to automatically lock your car, you're actually leaving your fuel filler unlocked. How unbelievably stupid is that?

Edit again: Scratch that, it's idiot owner syndrome! It turns out that the car is smarter than I've given it credit for. The handsfree locking does lock the fuel flap, but only after a delay of a few minutes (obviously so that the system doesn't inconvienience the driver while fuelling the car.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 19th June 2006 at 01:50 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Horatio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II odd ABS fault Electronics jamie 6 3842 22nd May 2011 08:49 AM
Carminat TomTom nightmare Electronics JohnKFreeman 9 16977 7th May 2011 09:54 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome