Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Growling powerless engine

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th September 2009 Thread Starter
The Plumber
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Growling powerless engine

Hi all, first post here. I'll try and make the question simple.
I have a 1999 Kangoo 655 1.9D van.
Around 4 months ago the head gasket went and i had a mechanic repair it on the cheap.
Since then ive got a 90% of the time problem that the electric warning light is showing and the engine is very loud (growling) with very poor power. Then all of a sudden like something kicks in an the van is smooth with plenty of power and a joy to drive. If i drive for a bit when its bad and then stop (turn off engine) and return to van after a few minutes 9 times out of ten its brilliant.
Also occasionally the speedo and fuel gauge will drop out for a few seconds (sometimes 30 seconds or so) and then return.
I understand that these faults could be picked up by a diagnostics test but ive also read that sometimes these dont always solve the problem (i.e one part gets replaced only to find its something else).
OK its an old van, but its only done 84000 miles and is rather clean so i would like to repair it if the costs dont run into 100's of pounds.
Any ideas?
Sorry for the long post and i look forward to your replies.
Cheers, Mark
  5 Lastest Threads by The Plumber
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Growling powerless engine Electronics regie 1 974 13th September 2009 08:39 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome