Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Kangoo 1.9 shorted glow plug relay

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th September 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Kangoo 1.9 shorted glow plug relay

Hi all! New to trying to fix my own car but sick of paying mechanics for not fixing it, so here I go...
I have a Kangoo 1.9 diesel which won't start. The glow plug light doesn't come on at all, and even in the afternoon when it's 22 degrees it cranks fine but doesn't fire at all. After reading a bunch of threads I started checking wiring and discovered 2 relays (out of the 9 or so that are there) next to the battery which appear to be shorted to ground (earth?). By this I mean that when I remove the relay and test the socket where it sits, the two poles which should activate the relay (1 & 2), thus connecting the other two poles to each other (3 & 5) they are both shorted to ground (1 & 2 that is). Is there any way this could be normal? One of the relays in question sends power to the glow plug and I think maybe allows fuel to pass through the injectors. If I physically jump 3 to 5 I hear a clicking from the injector pump and the glow plug light comes on. The second relay socket which has the same problem is a mystery to me, I have no idea what it's supposed to do.I discovered all this after draining the battery which is now on the charger, so I don't know yet if jumping the socket will start the car, but does any of this make any sense?
I'd ask my mechanic, but I think he's out sailing on the yacht I bought him....
Currently in amosrf's garage:
2000 Kangoo 1.9 diesel
  5 Lastest Threads by amosrf
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Kangoo 1.9 shorted glow plug relay Electronics mbyrnes 3 2570 14th September 2009 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome