Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace IV Diagnostic Tool?

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 17th September 2009
Banned User
Nominated 0 Times in 9 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Hi Ian,

Clip is Renault's diagnostics system and is PC based. Those Clips you can get for 600 pounds are Clip clones made in China.
The Maxidiag FR704 is made by Autel, also Chinese and it is reasonably well made. Price is around 180 pounds but you can sometimes pick one up for less on ebay .
The FR704 can read most systems on a French car, non EOBD diesel as well as non EOBD petrol. Live data is only available in EOBD mode hence on my 2002 Kangoo Trekka 1.9 DCI, live data does not work as the Trekka is too old and not EOBD compatible. Software for the FR704 can be updated by connecting to a PC. No update is available yet though. I also use the FR704 on my 2007 Ford Transit. Managed to obtain the required Ford software from a kind angel. Sealey offer software updates for the Maxidiag series scanners on their site. The Autel Maxidiag scanners cost a lot more when carrying the Sealey brand: 448.44 pounds as opposed to 180 pounds for the OEM scanner. The fact that Sealey has put their own name on them and sell them for nearly five hundred pounds each suggests that the quality is not too bad, won't you agree?

Currently in tolsen's garage:
Trekka 1.9 DCI, Smart Cabrio Cdi (65 - 85 MPG) & Ford Transit 2.2 Duratorq TDCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome