Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Registration Plate Explanation

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 17th September 2009
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
Oh that makes sense I guess, why september though.... seems a bit stupid, surely it should be June
The '5' part doesn't designate the month of registration,it's just a way of seperating the two different registration periods.

It was common practice to have just one new registration a year,in the early years it was logically the 1st of January,then this was moved to the 1st of August.This was changed to two seperate new reg dates per year to spread out the registrations as you can imagine how many new cars some big dealers had to send out on that date due to people wanting to pick there new reg'd car up as soon as the new plates could be legally used.

The current system is a little confusing,but there is logic to it.If either of the new reg's ran from the 1st of January dealers and their staff would have to work over the Christmas and New Year period due to getting the new vehicles all ready and delivered to their owners.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome