Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Registration Plate Explanation

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 18th September 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
I can never figure the need by some people who have to have the newest Reg, No. on the block. Seems to me a bit like a "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality, etc. But hey that's my own view.
Personally I believe number plates should be simple to read and give the information in an easy to decipher form.
The Republic of Ireland have a simple system. For example the plate "WE 05 1000" deciphers as
WE = the County (in this case Wexford)
05 = the year 2005
1000 = the one thousandth car to be registered in the County in that year.

I think this system was picked for ease of computer searching, etc.
I think the Irish system works pretty well, because even though the year changes in January, you can still tell roughly how new the car is by the number that follows the area code.

So for those to whom it matters, it's clear immediately that car no. 10000 registered in the Dublin area is newer than car no. 5000. With the silly UK 6 month system, there's no indication of whether a car was registered right at the beginning, right at the end, or somewhere in the middle of the period. And that's why there's still the mad rush for new registrations at the beginning of the period, and the corresponding reduction in sales towards the end.

I always thought it odd that they chose to rush through the last few year letters but then start the new system on 51 rather than 01. My cynical side says it's because they wanted the DVLA to be able to sell lots of personalised plates to people called Simon
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome