Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II 1.4 16V (01) - Advice - Clutch / Gearstick

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 19th September 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post
the clutch seems quite fierce, it doesnt slip or anything and the gearchange is fine but making a smooth change is tricky. There doesn't seem much travel of the clutch pedal through the 'biting point' if you get what I mean.

also, have noticed that the gearstick visibly moves when you are accelerating and braking.
I'm glad I saw this, I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my 1.4 Clio. To be honest I hate the way I can't get a smooth gear change, and for a 1.4 I find the acceleration is poor. In contrast my old 1.2 Clio was a dream to drive. Like yours Matt_C, my Clio is also lumpy when cold.

I'm thinking about getting a new car because of this, which is a shame because I love everything else about it. I just can't stand driving it anymore. I'm told that the 1.4 is actually fitted with the same gearbox as the 1.6, hence the problem. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.
Currently in davetherave_11's garage:
2005 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.4 16V
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome