Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Alternator wiring problem (2wire vs 3wire)

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st September 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Alternator wiring problem (2wire vs 3wire)

Please Help!

I have spent some time changing my alternator on my 1998 Renault Megane scenic 1.6 Alize with air-con. If you have done this you will know it is a right pain!

I have now realise that the alternator is not the same. The original had 2 wires (B+ and L) and the new one has three ( B+, + and L).:loser:

Connecting 'L' and 'B+' (as original) results in no addtional voltage than the charged battery provides and the battery light stays on.

With research I believe that the '+' has something to do with voltage sensing and I have found if I short the new terminal '+' with 'B+' it will kick out 14V ish and the battery light goes out. However, in doing so it seems very strained and it whines a lot. I guess that it needs to sense a voltage from elsewhere. The haynes manual suggests a yellow wire but there was no such wire in sight.

Should I;

1) scrap car?
2) connect B+ to somewhere / somewhere else?
3) spend more time and money on fitting another two wire alternator.

Your help would be very very much appreciated.

5 Lastest Threads by saint.vince
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Alternator wiring problem (2wire vs 3wire) Electronics saint.vince 8 5591 21st September 2009 08:43 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome