Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #181 of (permalink) Old 20th June 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi - I am motorist who emailed brigatti earlier. My bonnet flipped yesterday. Luckily I was only doing 50 mph on clear back road, so windscreen did not smash and emergency stop did not cause crash. Bonnet is however a write-off and impact forced aerial into car, causing dent.

RAC said the safety catch had "seized up" and that even if my bonnet catch had been left unlocked, (which is a possibility, as my boy has been known to fiddle with the car), the safety catch should have stopped the bonnet flipping. Indeed, my father has left the bonnet catch unlocked on a mid-range volvo, doing 70mph plus on the M56 and the bonnet merely rattled!

It was sheer luck that people I knew stopped to help. I had my 3 month baby in car and was on way to pick up 3 yr old from playgroup. My poor boy would have been stuck at playgroup not knowing where Mummy was.

I emailed Watchdog on Monday and also local Renault dealer for advice (as prescribed on Renault website) - as yet, no reply from either. I am feeling pretty angry - I was resigned to claiming off insurance, until I happened upon Watchdog article, now I'm not sure what to do.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome