Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Roof bars part with ESPACE on M25

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th June 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation Roof bars part with ESPACE on M25

Hi, new to the forum and may have found somewhere at last to share a nasty experience and warn others of potential weak spot.
Back in Feb my wife and I were returing south from IKEA with a 25 KG flat pack (max load on bars is 80kg) on roof of our 52 plate espace using the sliding and locking bars. To cut a long story short the bars broke away from roof rails on the M25 while doing 65 in slow lane behind a lorry. After a long battle with renault they accepted some liability and have paid the excess on our insurance. I missed being charged by police on the basis that the bars had broken away from the vehicle with load still attached (therfore not my fault). I've used rails, racks and bars for years on several vehicles with kayaks and windsurfers and never had an issue. Having just had the old roof cut out (old one was twisted in accident!) and replaced with a new one and a new set of rails and bars I was alarmed at how unsubstantial the fixings for the roof bars are. I will not trust them again and would urge all users to lash a load to the vehicle as well as the bars.

5 Lastest Threads by willcarnegie
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Roof bars part with ESPACE on M25 Bodywork ottoman 10 3456 20th June 2006 09:09 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome