Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Dubious Engineering Solutions.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 1st October 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Dubious Engineering Solutions.

Recovered a 55 plate Dci Laguna 11 today, loss of clutch fluid.
Not hard to detect fault, brake fluid dripping from bell housing so that will be the Concentric Slave Cylinder then!

This is a one owner 55k miles, full history car in lovely condition.

Removed the Tranaxle, checked the flywheel and it has no resistance whatsoever so that has to be replaced.

To fix this problem using either Genuine or factor parts (LUK) (New DMF, clutch kit & cylinder) not much difference in costs, will be around 980 plus recovery.

My gripe here is exactly what degree of driving refinement do we enjoy having a concentric slave cylinder and a Dual Mass Flywheel fitted to middle of the road cars versus the incredibly high cost of replacing these components.

Just how awful were cars before they started using this stuff?

The owner of this Laguna will struggle to find the dough to pay my account.

I know because he has only just got over his last bill of over 800 for a Service, rear discs & pads and a new rear Brake Caliper.

I wonder how many Millions and Millions of currency units Worldwide have been spent on replacing Dual Mass Flywheels & dreadful quality slave cylinders.

Who is to blame here?

Is it LUK who invented/pioneered this technology or is it the vehicle manufacturers who have adopted it?

Somehow you just know that this customer will not be buying another Renault sometime soon.

Currently in freddybabe's garage:
Hymer Motorhome and MgF.
  5 Lastest Threads by freddybabe
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Au Revoir, Adios, Goodbye. General Chat 44 5627 3rd December 2009 07:02 PM
Friday Night is Curry Night. General Chat hondo 144 17346 20th November 2009 08:31 PM
Lack of info in posts. Feedback & Announcements Mike11 8 1769 8th November 2009 06:46 PM
The General has done the right thing. General Chat freddybabe 0 973 4th November 2009 09:08 AM
Cheesey Grin Blair for E.U. Presidency General Chat freddybabe 0 975 26th October 2009 09:17 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome