Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - Electronics - Immobiliser issues

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 2nd October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
immobiliser/key problems

Originally Posted by daznjo View Post
threr are loads of threads and conflicting advice on forums regarding cloi keys . the most common seems to be years 98/01. this is when they changed the system.
As many people have posted rubbish like hop on 1 leg , flash the lights, rub the key and pray ! i will help with the easy diognosis.
The car will not start if when you put the key in and turn it the immobiliser flashes fast

Firstly open the key very carefully and replace the battery WITHOUT disturbing the printed board in the key.
If that makes no difference sit in the car and shut the doors ,turn the key 1 click so the clock comes on but not the lights on the dash.
Now press the central locking (lock) button by the ashtray and hold it down until the immobiliser light is solid , now turn the key the rest of the way and it will start. (forget people who say you need codes its a load of bull)

If however the car fails to start ie the light wont go solid then the immobiliser is at fault.
If the light goes solid and she starts then the transponder in the key is to blame.
This can be double checked because you can start stop the car as many times as you like untill you open the door which will break the circut and you will be back to square 1.

You dont need to point the key at anything or press it like morse code or wear your lucky pants its simple to find out if its the key or immobiliser.

Hi, I have a 99 clio and tried the above but to no avail. At the moment it is starting but there is no rhyme or reason and it could play up at anytime. I've bought a new lock for the driver side door as it hasn't worked for sometime..I'm hoping that using the drivers door to lock and unlock could solve the problem but i'm not holding my breath! Up until now i have been using the central locking button by the ashtray then locking the passenger side door with my key.

I'm more inclined to believe that the immobiliser is at fault as i have 2 main keys and it makes no odds which one i use. The chips are present and in the right position.

Do you have any more suggestions? And does it make sense to you that not using the drivers door to lock and unlock could cause a problem with the immobiliser?[/COLOR]
Currently in missmadmolly's garage:
renault clio II 1.4
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome