Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - Steering Lock Problems

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 4th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic II - Steering lock - Anti-theft device

I had the same problem on my 4 year old Scenic II 1.4 diesel. It could not move although the brake was released and was being maneuvered by 3 men! The engine could not start; the car’s control panel was reporting 'steering lock activated'. I ended up being towed to the Renault Malta since the car went DEAD.

Following an argument with local agent, the part was replaced. I cost me around Euro 600 - following a substantial discount!

I have written to the local Consumer Protection Department, Renault Malta and to Renault France. Renault Malta is claiming that this is a “wear and tear” problem and I have not received an official response from Renault France. I am contending that this is a latent defect. Your forum seems to proof me right. Furthermore a car was garaged at Renault Malta reporting the same problem.

Following some research and discussing the matter with a local experienced mechanic, it seems that this part is shared by other reputable car manufactures and they all seem to have problems with this part.

Can anyone offer advice as to the electronics employed so that this device works. Does the part work with high radio frequency or infrared? Is it subject to normal “wear and tear”..?

What would have happened if the steering lock was “activated” whilst I was driving? One of the correspondents is claiming that the fault is well documented. I feel that this is a security driver and passenger safety matter, and Renault should make a recall on this part.

I thank you for your help.

Currently in noelcass's garage:
2004 Renault Scenic 1.5 dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome