Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #393 of (permalink) Old 5th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Vel satis brake discs

Hi there, just had new brake discs all round and new tyres also. As it ended up costing me more than I planned, I thought I would mention a couple of things to other VS owners, which may save them some trouble.

Some of the quality aftermarket Brake suppliers list One front brake disc for the VEL SATIS between 2002 and 2005 ( the phase 1 cars ). The disc is a ventilated 324 mm diameter.
As my brother and I both have a VS 3.0 Dci Initiale each, I ordered two sets of EBC front brake discs at the same time - a few months ago. His were fitted straightaway without problems ( 2002 model ). However, when I took my car ( 2003 Model ) to the garage a couple of days ago to get mine fitted, the garage put one disc on the car and then could not re-attach the wheel ! Reason -: towards the end of 2002, RENAULT changed the wheel bolts from a 12 mm diameter thread to 14 mm diameter thread.
So I had to spend out extra on a New Pair from RENAULT for about 160.
The discs certainly do wear - they say about 3 sets of pads before they need changing.
The same applies to the REAR Brake Discs, which when a Genuine RENAULT Part, have the rear wheel bearings built in - some aftermarket types do not. By the time you buy a new wheel bearing and have it pressed into place, there may not be much of a saving over original.
Anyone needing a Quality New Pair of Front Discs for the 12 mm wheelbolt models, let me know - I will part with them at a greatly discounted rate - 66 pair plus post.
On a good note, I now have the car back with 4 new Pirellis and all new disc brakes and pads.
Currently in Satistician's garage:
2008 Renault Kangoo 1.6.16v Auto ( Disabled conversion ), 2008 Renault Kangoo 1.6.16v auto ( salvage to fix the 1st one ), Vauxhall ARENA 2.5D - AKA RENAULT TRAFIC 1
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome