Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #942 of (permalink) Old 6th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Just my take on this.

I think there are several poor areas of design.
1. The mechanism seems to attract muck due to airflow at the front of the car (compared to previous cars I've owned), so if it is lubricated the muck quickly develops into a thick gritty sludge which can affect it's smooth operation. If really bad, it could prevent the secondary catch engaging.
2. The secondary catch is very small and the spring is weak (again comapered to previous cars I've owned), so unless it is in 'perfect' condition, there might be a risk
3. There is a clip-on plastic 'striker plate' for the secondary catch. This is made of hard but fragile plastic, and I can see the locating pegs becoming damaged over time just by the action of closing the bonnet. If this plate moves down, it will stop the secondary bonnet catch from working.
4. The release handle at the front underside of the bonnet runs in a plastic guide. In an extreme case this could seize.

Twice now I've removed the whole assembly, cleaned it fully. I've also glued the plastic striker plate solidly in place as mine was moving and had some damage to the locating pips. (I'll replace with a new one soon..and glue that one in place too). I also recommend not too much lubrication...( less chance of grit / sludge build-up)
Currently in Jerryuk's garage:
2004 Clio2 1.5dCi 100BHP Initiale, ZZ-R600, A Radio, Ladders, Solitude
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome