Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 1.8 1994 Immobiliser,worth a read

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 6th October 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Right after a lot of focusing on testing/replacing engine sensors I decided to look at the speedo cable which I assumed was mechanical cable type. Having read the Haynes manual it came apparent that some are also electrical. So checked mine at the clocks and its indeed cable but also has 3 wires going into the cable. I can only assume these pick up the speed and sends the signal to the ECU (just one of the sensors to have an input to the ECU )
Now for those that read the first post then this car did have the clutch changed and may be the cause of my engine check light and non starting as this speedo cable is the only thing to link it all together bar earths which I have checked. I even made my own earth direct from the battery as a just incase. This car does not have an immobilser and has been confirmed by an auto electrician who I gave the ECU to to disable that. Still 25 to have the ECU checked and confirmed as unlocked is not bad. One less troublesome thing to not to worry about.
So I shall post back when I have either checked /replaced the speedo cable. Strange item really as there seems to be no sensor as such and the 3 wires go within the inner portion of the speedo cable. This thread might be of use to those that have check lights and have gone the same route as myself ie replace everything to do with an engine check light but to no avail. Hopefully I will get a cure.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome