Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - removal of reversing light switch

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 6th October 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by alastairg100 View Post
I have recently bought a renault megane 1.4ltr X/2000reg. I have already had to change all three engine mounts which were ok. However I have now noticed that the reversing lights arent working. I have changed the bulbs and tested the fuse, all of which work fine with the fuse getting power to it. This means it is the reversing light switch which was faulty. Identifying it I wiggled it around and the reversing lights worked however didnt stay on once I let go.

I have diagnosed this as a faulty connection within the switch. I was wondering how you remove the reversing light switch conecter as it appears to be stupidly difficult to access, pictures would be even better if anyone has any?

The principle of the connector retaining method is similar to the child proof caps on mouthwash etc.

You have to squeeze the outer ring together and pull.

Getting to it is as you say awkward but once you know the method it is really easy.

To change the switch, drain oil from gearbox.
Use new copper washer on drain plug.
Unscrew switch.

It comes from Renault with a coating on the threads to stop leaks and lock threads.

Don't overtighten.

Check everything ok and all working.

Re-fill with fresh gear oil .

Currently in freddybabe's garage:
Hymer Motorhome and MgF.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome