Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - Digital Display Flickering*Fixed*

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 7th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Well I've been hanging back before posting on this as I didn't want to tempt fate. Many thanks to bigfeet whose post prompted me to write a letter addressed to Nikki Bennett at Renault UK.

We bought a 54 plate Scenc 1.9 DCi back in June from a local dealer. We were driving it through France on the first day of our holiday a few weeks back when the dash display started flickering on and off. I phoned my local dealer who said it would need replacing at £500. I had it looked at in Spain and was quoted 1000 Euros!

After browsing this thread I decided to email Renault stating I knew of someone else who they had replaced t for and that I would expect the same offer. I didn't get a reply so then wrote the letter.

A couple of days later I got a call from a nice bloke at Renault. He was similarly coy but spent a good while asking about how the fault occured, how long we had the car etc. He then spoke to the dealer and called me back.

The long and short is that he said that he wasn't aware of it being a known design flaw, and that every case was considered individually on its merits, and suggested forum reports were often incorrect. He then said that based on the fact that it was our first ever Renault and they wouldn't normally agree to pay for a repair out of warranty, he said if the dealer looked at it and confirmed it was the panel that they would, on this occasion, cover it as a goodwill gesture.

My wife took it down there today and it's all been done for no charge. In all honesty I can't complain at all about the service we've experienced. Glad it's all done anyway and would certainly recommend putting your case in writing if you have this problem. Many thanks to this forum, without which I'd be £500 worse off!
Currently in sandanman's garage:
2005 Renault Scenic Expression DCi 120
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome