Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 2 - Watchdog Report On Failing Dashboards

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Truckbusuk View Post
Surely the point here is not if Renault are going to uphold any goodwill and provide a solution via warranty or not but what their responsibilities under UK sale of goods act and what is fit for purpose or not ....

I'd argue that a 4 or 5 year old car with a dash failure is not fit for purpose and I'd look to Renault to fix the problem ..... how much I'd want to argue would depend how I'd value the stress incurred and I may think it was worth the "fixed price repair" at 100 ....
I think this sums up the situation pretty well. If the Scenic's dash does have reliability issues that make its expected life shorter than it should be (compared to similar components in other vehicles) then it's quite sensible to conclude that it has a manufacturing defect and was not fit for purpose at time of purchase.

So the 100 repair offer probably makes financial sense from Renault's point of view. Few people would bother to go to court over a 100 dispute, especially once you factor it in to other running and repair costs that are incurred routinely. For a higher sum (e.g. the 500 that it costs to replace the Laguna's dash when it goes wrong) I'm surprised more people don't take legal action.

If it did go to court and the case went against Renault, it'd be free repairs all round. As it stands, at least they're covering their labour charges.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome