Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Where are the relays?? Modus. main beam

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Fire Risk - Dipped beam relay

Modus Dipped Headlights permanently on (I mean permanently not just when you are driving)
I have (thanks to Nimrod) opened the fuse / relay box to the right of the battery. One relay was warmer than the others (the whole box was quite warm) so I guessed that was it. For those wanting to know which it was second from left (facing the car or third from nearside if you prefer).
Using a pair of pliers (ends covered in duck tape for grip and protection) I removed it. Dipped lights went out. Problem over I thought just buy a new relay.
No such luck... The relay had obviously got very warm and melted the socket in the fuse box.
I'm now faced with replacing the whole fusebox which although fiddly (I may have to remove the battery tray) is possible.

My remaining concern is that this could have caused an electrical fire. Why didn't a fuse blow? If I replace the fusebox and relay can I be sure that that was the fault? Will I just melt another fusebox...?
6 months out of warranty, the petrol flap solenoid has stopped working and now this. What chance of Renault contribution do you think?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome