Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II Instrument Cluster...HELP!

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 13th October 2009
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Originally Posted by AnthGarbutt View Post
Hi There,

Ive read loads of similar threads regarding the dash clusters failing. My Laguna II has had this problem for a while but last week when i had to jump start my car (it had been left idle for 2 weeks) that my cluster worked fine again. Thinking my problem had been solved i was very happy, until the next morning when i started the car (first time) and the dash was off again.

I then jump started it and it works again... for now.

Can anyone explain this to me? is this something that a new battery could fix or is it possible that an alternator is faulty or a problem in the dash?

Id love some feedback on this because its driving me mad!
When you say the dash was off what exactly do you mean? were all of the instruments & lights off or were they jumping around with the lights flashing?

In my experiance the problems with the dash pod are caused by the Motorola chip (MC68HC908AZ60), this chip breaks down & is affected by cold temperatures. As the weather is now starting to get colder the problems you are experiencing could be this.

Have a read of my thread on the subject.
Laguna (possibly others) faulty instrument cluster

Originally Posted by N3JLY View Post
i have had my car jump started, several weeks ago, since then all dials on the dash and the tyre presure and trip computer have stoped working. i believe it may be down to the motorola chip (MC68HC908AZ60) may have been 'fried' . the lights do come on when i unlock the car and im asked to insert the card. but doing this doesnt seem to register with the dash. the chip can be bought cheaply but im not too sure how easy it will be to replace. and if it will rectify the problem. an auto electricion has asked for nearly 200 to fix it, id prefer to just put in a cluster from a srap car. would this work?
I'm a little confused by your post....does the car start & run? it only the dash that's not working?

Did the dash not working happen immediately when the car was jump started or did it happen later?

I don't think the Motorola chip controls the tyre pressure monitor...I'm not 100% sure of this tho.

Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome