Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - Bodywork - Water leaks - Window or Sills ?

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 15th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Leaking Points

I recently had water coming inside my clio. Of cource I cleaned it myself and also was trying to find the source of the leak.

First things to notice. All the drains outside the car where clean and also the little plastic that front drains end above the radiator motor.

But water had full the radiator motor compartment wich made me search further, only to discover that below that there is a drain hole that had been blocked with mud and other stuff like tree leaves. Also the opposite below the windshield water container was blocked.

The main issue with the radiator blower motor, is that it provides direct communication with the interior, through the air vents located on the footwell. So If the blower fills up with water, the water goes in the blower system and from there to the nearest escape (and lower) the footwell, usually the back which is located below the front seats.

Also it leaks during its way on the back from any connection of the vent pipes as they are not sealed (cause they deliver only air) and can destroy the airbag computer under the main console or any other component located there. Very important is that since the blower fills up until water finds its way inside the motor is covered with water wich if you don't see and operate the radiator the motor could fail, or it could fail on a later time by rust wich will be created after the flood.

So, clio owners, beware of the two drain holes on the engine area, as they are more likely blocked after a year or so. If you can't reach them from above, they end up over the front wheels (covered with plastic cover) and can be easily cleaned from there.

Also, I was hearing water when the car was moving or accelerated. This was noticed before the flood and its more likely to be the petrol, moving inside the reservoir. If you lift the back seats you can hear it better. In front each passenger and driver tend to hear it from different sides. So I guess thats the "water" sound that everyone hears
Currently in Johnny_Nik's garage:
Renault Clio II MTV 1.2
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome