Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II - Parrot 3100 and Cabasse

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 19th October 2009
Diamond dismember
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by contilla View Post
after an hour or so we started teh car up and dash display lights lit up, rev counter and speedo went funny
Assuming your 'guna is a generation II or III model, I suspect that the wiring work might have inadvertently put the dash clock cluster into self test mode.

If you want to confirm that this is what happened, here's how you normally invoke the test mode:
1. Push the trip computer button (at the end of the wiper stalk), and keep it depressed.
2. Insert the keycard into the reader.
3. Once you see the needles of the tach and speedo move, let go of the trip computer button.

If you now get the exact same behavior from the dash clocks as you did at Halfords, then my suspicions were right.
Remove the keycard again to exit this test mode, and resume normal behavior.

Take not of whether the Halfords technician used a VDA adapter to connect the kit, or whether it was a standard wiring kit that normally comes with these fixed handsfree kits.
Lagunas from 2003 on usually have a VDA connector available for hands free kits, hidden inside the centre console, next to the handbrake lever.
I highly recommend using a VDA adapter harness if you have the connector.
Getting to it is quite easy, as it's only a matter of undoing the gaiters for the handbrake and gear levers, and pulling the plastic top casing off, as it's fitted by way of snap fixtures,
which snap back into place when you push the panels back on.

When Horatio refers to "reverse polarity", remember it's not plus and minus that are reversed, but two different plusses, as I tried to explain in an earlier post:
one permanent, and one that comes on with the ignition.
You can easily find out which one's which with a multimeter, even the cheap ones you get for a fiver at electronic hobbyist shops.

Originally Posted by contilla View Post
by the way how do I find out what type of stereo I have, whats a cabasse??
If the radio was supplied by Renault, there would be a model name on the front.

Some common Renault stereo names:
  • Tuner List (made by VDO Dayton)
  • Update List (made by VDO Dayton)
  • Cabasse Auditorium (made by Cabasse)
  • Cabasse Tronic (made by Cabasse)
  • Radiosat (made by Philips)

Cabasse is a high-end loudspeaker manufacturer, based in the northwest of France.
They're currently owned by Canon, as far as I could figure out.
Currently in costeau's garage:
2008 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (Used to have a 2004 Laguna 1.8)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome