Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - TDC Sensor Replacement (with pictures!)

View Single Post
post #188 of (permalink) Old 23rd October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
A good idea Tubestock but there may be a danger of upsetting the wave pattern to the ECU .

A Renault tech I know claims that 80% of TDC faults are down to poor connections and not a fault in the sensor itself. He usually cleans the sensor and then solders the connections covering the joints with heat-shrink insulation. Many people seem to think cleaning the sensor helps but actually in many cases the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the connector cleans the contact surfaces of the connectors.
Having looked at the connector when I took the old sensor off I would have said it was making good contact. This is what arroused my suspicions. The connector has an O ring seal and the pins were greased to prevent corrosion. In my experience in the electronic industry this would constitute a good, waterproof connection unless the wires are detaching themselves from the sockets in the connector hood. Having said all that if you know somebody in the trade they will have more experience than me on this. My brothers Clio still has the old sensor and connector working fine since I modded it. I did try cleaning the sensor and connector at first but it didn't cure the problem.

There is a risk of distorting the waveform but the ECU can most probably compensate for that to take in account manufacturers tolerances in assembly and heat expansion.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome