Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Tyre press monitors AND brakes ?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 24th October 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
There's still a hint of Russian Roulette when changing the tyres on a Laguna with pressure sensors. For example, one time I had a couple of tyres changed, the sensor had broken off from the valve stem inside the tyre. It was still functioning perfectly until the tyre was removed (though the wheel balance was off) but once the damage was revealed, I had to go through the whole rigmarole of getting the tyre fitted by the tyre place, then going off to Renault to get them to remove the tyre, refit with a new valve and then recode. Fortunately, someone else was paying.

In the early days, tyre fitters had a tendency to take several wheels off at once and then put them back on at random. The sensors are coded to their respective positions, so (for example) the offside front wheel must not be fitted anywhere other than the offside front. Most seem to have their act together now. The only other thing to watch out for on a tyre change is metal valve caps - some tyre places do you a 'favour' by fitting these. If they do, then get shut ASAP and put plastic ones on. Worst case scenario, you can cut the plastic ones off (I've had to do that once too, after one had been put on cross-threaded.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome