Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Faulty Coils Causing Warning Light(Including General Info)*fixed*

View Single Post
post #43 of (permalink) Old 25th October 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Scenic MkII - Variation on fault coil pack.

I currently have a 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 16v Auto (Petrol) that is starting to cause me some concern regarding the coil packs.

Whenever I start driving the car on a dual-carriageway or motorway the engine will go into safe mode and the "Check Injection" message displayed on the computer. After turning-off and turning back-on the engine all is fine and the above message disappears. Generally this is after 10-15 minutes driving but has sometimes happened after a couple of hours driving, so can not say for definate that it happens when the engine is cold.

After this happened a couple of times I took the car to my local garage and they put a diagnostic computer on the car, the message "PO303 - Cylinder 3 misfire" is given (taken on Reflex 3130 diagnostic computer). The car has only done 20,000 miles and the coil packs were replaced by Nationwide Autocenters in Jan. 08 using Bremi 20111 coils (8,000 miles ago).

Is this simply a case that the offending coil needs replacing or is there another underlying problem (Spark plug, Injection unit or EDU etc). Having read the various discussion forums on the Renault Scenic coil packs I get the impression that once a coil pack goes down then the engine will not function normally until the coil pack is replaced, and turning the engine off/on will do little to correct the problem, this is different to the behaviour that I am seeing.

Many thanks for any replies received. /Mike
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome