Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

View Single Post
post #66 of (permalink) Old 25th October 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to Ivor_E_Tower
Bit of an update... not got my heater fan to work, but I think I have found the source of the water ingress. First I took a mirror and looked up under both sills. Poking around with a wire and thin screwdriver showed that all holes were clear (it also showed some rust and much flaking paint so that's another job for some sandpaper and hammerite at a later date).
Started to undo the pollen filter housing screw, and some water dripped out, so water is obviously finding its way into the air inlet path. This is not directly conected to what must be the lowest point in the plenum chamber, so even if that drain were blocked, it wouldn't stop the water at the pollen filter stage.
So, under the bonnet I went. If you take out the black plastic parts that bridge the gap between the rear edge of the bonnet and the base of the windscreen, you will see that there are drains high up in the inner wing. Basically on each side, there is a hole with a one-way plastic flap valve. These were both gunged up with leaves, mud, slime etc etc (yuk, nasty). So I have taken them out - they almost fell out into my hands as they are a push-fit into the cut-out in the wing. You can also easily see the gaping rectangle that is the inlet to the heater. A small pool of water in front of it, and I can see how on a slope it would be very easy for any water to slop over and into the heater air inlet. It's not offset very much from the mesh part in the plastic shield.
So now I have to wait for a heavy rainstorm to see if this part is "job done".
Currently in Ivor_E_Tower's garage:
2014 Captur dCi EDC; 2014 Ka 1.2 Zetec; 2015 C-Max 1.6 TDCI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome