Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 55 1.9DCI Espace Alternator questions...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st October 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
55 1.9DCI Espace Alternator questions...

Hi All,

my alternator failed showing a battery charge fault on my 55plate 1.9DCI espace a few months ago...whilst disapointed it is coming up to 5 years i simply obtained a reconditioned unit and had it fitted....problem solved...i thought.

...3 months later the replacment alternator fails again..same fault....i speak to the reconditioners who of course told me its unuasual to have returns (they are hardly going to tell me they fail all the time are they!?) so sugested the problems may be as a result of poor cooling (its the water cooled variety).

the water levels were ok prior to failiure on both occasions...and when squeesing the pipes that feed the alternator i can see water flow back in the expention chamber which would sugest there is water in the alternator as there thould be.

I measured the temp of the alternator using a laser thermometer after a run, it was sitting about 60deg celsius...the radiator was about 50deg so i thought this sounded about right?

Can anyone confirm the normal working temp of the alternator?...logically it all seems fine..however now the reconditioners have put this nagging doubt in my a little worried that another 3 months down the line its going to fail again.

I'd welcome anyones comments or advice.

Currently in Reynard's garage:
55 plate Renault Espace 1.9dCi.
  5 Lastest Threads by Reynard
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
55 1.9DCI Espace Alternator questions... Electronics Reynard 2 1170 31st October 2009 06:53 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome