Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Common problem - breaks squealing

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 31st October 2009
Doug Sinnott
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Brake squeal

[QUOTE=hankmarvin107;102585]Do any of you have problems with your breaks squealing?

I checked all the pads and they have plenty left on. I have even jet washed them down to get rid of any dust, but has not worked.

I called my local Renault dealer and they guy on the phone said itís a common problem on a few Renault types.

He says the build up of dust causes the squeal and the only option at the moment is to take them off clean and grease up certain bits and thatís it. He also said that after more dust build up it would come back.
I asked him if Renault does this for free, but as you can guess the customer has to pay for it.

I wanted to know (before I complain to Customer Service) if you have had the same issue???

I donít see why I should have to pay for something, which is bad build/design and after a period of time have to pay again.

It's a common problem with various modern cars,apparently something to do with the harder brake disc materials used.
I took my front pads off,and put plenty of copper non squeal grease on the backs of the pads,where the pistons operate,and they have been OK since.
If you jet wash the pads,you can remove some of the original copper grease,which makes it worse!
Currently in Doug Sinnott's garage:
Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 Dci 2005
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome