Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #395 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
New to the forum and just put deposit down on.....

... a 3.5 V6 Initiale

I wanted a large petrol engined car up to 7 years old and a top budget of 5k to mainly run back and fourth to Toulouse/Perpignan where the inlaws are.

I love jap cars (go with me....) and knowing the top petrol VS has the 350Z engine and gearbox I thought I had to see this thing. I did not want to be involved in badge engineering (BMW, Merc or Audi although I do have a 15 yr old W124 merc estate which was an ebay steal at 500 two years ago).

Shortlist included Avantime, VelSatis, Espace, old shape C5, Peugeot 607, SType Jag, Lexus (LS400 or sportcross). Test drove several diesel variants - simply not for me. Even if I had a high mileage commute I simply could not go diesel. I just can not get my driving head around Torque vs RPM. I am a petrol head, not a diesel head

So, took the 3.5 VS for a long drive - and bang/luxury per buck there is nothing that stands close. Is it ugly? - yip, in a quirky two-fingers-to-the-luxury-brigade kind of way. Does it go? Yip After market springs and some tuning goodies already ordered from Nismo (Nissan tuning arm) and I think a visit to an aftermarket exhaust place is on the cards (like the one mentioned on here or possibly a Haywood-Scott special). I would have to have paid twice the amount for a similar specced car (tad under 4.5k with two year warranty).

Feel a bit smug really. Full history with Renault, one owner and all bills (including original bill of sale at 32k ). Watch this space to see how we get on....

Currently in Wile7's garage:
2002 3.5 Initiale Vel Satis, 1996 Caterham 1700 Supersprint, 95 Merc W124 E200 estate, 2007 Suzuki Swift, 1995 Mercedes Sprinter 412, Aprilia Moto Starck 6.5
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome