Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - Electronics - Immobiliser issues

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 2nd November 2009
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by MattL1983 View Post
Hi, this is the first time I have posted on here and I haven' got a clue if i'm doing it right.

I have a 2003 Clio and have owned it from new. Just recently i've started to have a load of problems.

The main one is that it seems to start when it feels like it!

When it doesn't start all the dashboard lights come on as usuall it just does not turn over.
I had the starter motor changed a month ago by my local garage and that seemed to solve the problem for a week although it's now back to not starting at times.

A mate of mine has told me it could be the engines earth lead that has snapped or it could be the immobiliser.

Has anyone got any advice on what I can do to get the problem sorted?

(p.s i've also changed the batteries in my keys and that doesn't appear to have changed anything)

Hello, the earth straps on the Clio2's are dreadful, double check the main braided strap it connects the RHS bottom front of the gearbox housing to the chassis member under the headlight .... its very common for this to fail (and stop the car starting) .... it used to be copper but the replacement ones are stainless ... make sure its tight and not starting to split/fray at the gearbox end .... replacement from Renault is approx £15 ..... takes about 20mins to change over from under the NSF wheelarch (remove the wing liner/gearbox shroud to get access.)

hope it helps

Why is it the older I get .... the better I think I was ?
Currently in Truckbusuk's garage:
Clio2 1.4RT Phase1(VF1BB0S) + Volvo XC90 SE Lux D5 Geartronic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome