Independent Renault Forums banner

Ticking indicator relay

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  regie 
#1 ·
Hi

I have just bought a Kangoo D865 1.9 x reg, I have a constant ticking sound that comes from the indicator relay, all the bulbs are Ok, indicators and hazzards work fine, actually, when indicating the relay ticks as normal, even exchanged the relay with a local garage but theirs ticked in my van as well, what could it be please.

Terry

#2 ·
Ticking indicator relay - Kangoo 856D

I also have a Kangoo 865D 1.9 Year 2000 that has a ticking indicator relay and has had the relay replaced by Renault and it still ticks and has done for 4 years!

Please can anyone advise where the fault may actually be so I can start looking for it somewhere.

#4 ·
So is there any easy way to test the hazard and indicator switch's? i.e can they be removed and then this sends the relay back to normal?

When the indicators are switched on the relay ticks as normal, i.e as you would expect it to tick in line with the flashing of the indicators. The same happens with the hazards when they are switched on everything is fine.

The relay just ticks like crazy when its not in use.

#5 ·
I would try a hazard light switch, the indicators won't work without the hazard swich so there is no point in disconnecting it, You could also make sure it has not had a tow bar fitted at some point and someones cut it off to sell it leaving the wires exposed ?

#9 ·
I replaced the indicator switch and yes it fixed the indicator problem and the relay is normal now.

However I also had a problem with the wipers - the intermittent doesn't work leaving only wipers on or wipers on fast. If you request the water jet for the wipers it then blows a fuse.

So because replacing the indicator switch worked I also replaced the wipers switch, but it hasn't fixed the problem - any ideas?

#8 ·
Kangoo ticking relay!

I have had the same problem (among about 10!) with the relay ticking its head off, a few people told me it would be the indicator stalk. I have solved it by removing the stalk (take top and bottom plastic covers off steering colum, turn wheel to left abit, remove the 2 silver x head screws, the black plug at back and the small white one underneath) i had been told its a problem with grease, i slid the stalk out and removed a further 2 x head screws off it to open it up. I sprayed some degreaser in, poured hot water in it and blew it all out with hot air gun, just put it back in and its solved it! 20 minute job at most and its worth it for the silence! Hope this helps, dean :d

#11 ·
Hi
My wife has the same problem with a constant rapid ticking from the indicator relay. I went to our local dealer for advice and a solution but according to them none of their technicians’ have ever come across this problem. Finding your posts shows the opposite. Why can't dealers be honest? Maybe they would get more work if Joe public thought they could be trusted. Any way I will try the suggested repairs and keep you posted.
Regards
David

#12 ·
Indicators

With all due respect there is a possibility that at your Renault dealer they have not come across this fault. The other possibilies are they may have forgotten about the fault as the last of the non multiplexed vehicles was stopped in about 2003. Lastly and the most frightening possibility is older Renault technicians have been outed by dealers or have left because they are too expensive. This would only have been done if the dealers are very short sighted but some of the dealers think that way.
Regards,

Regie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.