Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #397 of (permalink) Old 4th November 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
350z engine in 3.5 vel satis and sports springs ?

Hi Dave, must be a cracking car you have with that engine version. What a bargain to be able to buy a car with the charismatic Nissan 350Z engine in, for a fraction of the cost of the Nissan Sports Car.
Fancied one myself but fuel consumption a bit too scary for me, so opted for the 3.0 Isuzu diesel V6 version.

Very pleased with that - 36 + mpg mostly.

The previous owner of my VS has fitted 'SPORTS springs' ( and I assume lowered as well ) all round. I did not know this at the time I bought it, and having driven a standard identical car and then mine - I can only say this is a very ill conceived modification.
My car feels every bump, and crashes into pot holes like it has metal tyres !
If I dont get square wheels soon, I will be very surprised.
As soon as I can, I am going to find a set of standard springs and re-fit them. The ride quality is extremely poor with this mod - don't know who made the springs but they are bright red.
I have to say, I am not that convinced that standard 18 inch wheels with 45 aspect tyres is such a great move by Renault either, as that can hardly help ride quality over the lesser models 17 inch and 55 aspect tyres.
I would be a bit wary about fitting lowered springs, I don't think a lot of these Companies do their maths. The late and great Barry Waterhouse of Lancia Motor Club fame had a lot to say on this subject, and I believe he was right.
He said that many of the aftermarket springs have not been well thought out at all, and some of the people producing them have not a clue about the physics involved. Good luck with your new car though. Graham.
Currently in Satistician's garage:
2008 Renault Kangoo 1.6.16v Auto ( Disabled conversion ), 2008 Renault Kangoo 1.6.16v auto ( salvage to fix the 1st one ), Vauxhall ARENA 2.5D - AKA RENAULT TRAFIC 1
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome