Hi peeps. I too suffered heater problems with the fans sometimes working and sometimes not at all.
Ran the car for a few weeks with the fan on 1st speed with air con ON so that I could ensure the car never misted up. Alos ran the car with the dash surround removed so as to allow quick easy access in case I had to wiggle the loom (which I had to do several times).
So a week ago i decided to venture in behind the dash. Yes it was a tight squeeze but dead easy to unclip the loom from the resistor. The block on the loom was molten in two places (on the fat yellow lead and the fat purple lead).
Next I undid the resistor again fairly easy but found that I cud not get to the mouth of the dash. From wot I cud ascertain the resistor pack was all ok.
I decided on the following plan of action.
1) ordered a resitor pack from here http://www.aepdirect.com/index.php?o...roduct_id=5641
This resistor came complete with the leads to the blower motor whereas the reno one does not.
2) one the part arrived I did the following:
a)remove plug from resistor.
b) remove the resistor pack and at same time cut both the red and black wires close to the resistor head
c) with the new resistor pack I allowed around 18" of cable and cut the cables thereby roving the blower end cable connector.
d) i then spliced the new resistor pack wires to those in behind the dash. This then allowed me to "hang" with ease the new resistor pack out thru the mouth of the dash.
e) i then carefully cut away the charred plastic block from the end of the loom. I was then left with all the individual wires complete with their cable ends.
f) I noted that both the thick purple and yellow ends were slck so closed these down using some jewellery plies.....this now ensured a tite grip on the spade terminals of the new resistor pack
g) the original cables were now fitted one by one to their corresponding original positions.
h) fitted new resistor pack into place with loom connected. The fiddly bit was getting the torx screw into its hole and done up.
After all this I boxed the job up refitting the dash surround. Set the fan speed to ZERO and reconnected battery, set radio code and went for a drive. During the "test" drive played with fan control know and BINGO fan worked on all fan speeds. Thats was all done on Saturday afternoon and now I have a very sore and scratched right forearm......BUT WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!!!!!! Went out y'day (Sunday) and heater all fine and dandy. Today, Monday again all fine and dandy.
Hopes this helps you all. I presume you can do the same with a new resisitor pack from reno but you will have to buy some cable ex Halfords to join to the blower motor feed.
I will dismantle nx weekend and take photos and hopefully manage to get they up here.