Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II - Electronics - TDC sensor

View Single Post
post #58 of (permalink) Old 19th November 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
My son's car a Y reg Clio Grande 8 valve has displayed these start up faults. I used to work a lot on cars as a hobby mainly VW's. I went to my local parts dept and asked for a set of spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm. The guy came back with a quizical look saying that the car doesn't have a cap/arm.
So I changed the plugs. No4 was stuck fast so I left the engine on until it was well warm and thankfully the plug came out.
Next day my son says the car is still a swine to start cold.
I take advice from reading about the problem on another forum and change the Coolant Temp sensor. Still no joy!!
Oh by the way let the car cool down otherwise the water spits out and scolds ya!
Followed this thread and thanks for the photo - we removed the Top dead centre sensor and cleaned it - bent the prongs. Fired up great initially then back to the same problem!!
Once the car fires up it runs great idles great - it's just the initial start.
Oh yeah I forgot the battery gave up 'cos of the strain put on it (original 9 year old battery) so we have a new battery. The engine bay is clean , oill free.

It's not the starter that works fine, not the plugs, not the battery not the coolant Temp sensor. It's a toss up now - 20 on a new TDC sensor or 46 quid to pay for a diagnostic 8loody renaults - and don't get me started on the modus - that's another story!!

scolded hands and scars from changing Headlight bulb on the modus!!(oops I said I wouldn't start on the modus)
Currently in Spudmurphy's garage:
Fiat Punto & Renault Modus & Clio
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome