Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Wheels and Tyres - Broken handbrake - Fix with pics

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th June 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Renault Laguna II - Wheels and Tyres - Broken handbrake - Fix with pics

Hi All

Hope this is useful and one of the mods can get it entered into the DIY Knowledge base.

My handbrake lever broke today! Basically you pulled the lever up (no clicking) but could feel the actually brakes working. On letting go it would just drop straight to the floor. In other words my lever wouldn't stay up!!!!!!

SO, stripped out the centre console. (At this stage didn't think about pics sorry). There are two screws behind the ashtray and two screws at the very back of either side down by seat mounts.

The handbrake cover unclips and then with a little tug the whole cover pops off, same with the gear lever (took some pulling at first!)

Lifting from the back the whole console will start to move out and as you go you need to disconnect the cigarette lighter, the hazard warning, the central locking switch, the power supply to the console 12v socket and anything your model may have down there!!

SO here's a pic of what I found!

Well nothing untoward there you might say, until I found the following on the floor!

On inspection this had "fell out" of the inside of the lever mechanism!!!!!!! There is absolutely no evidence of snapping or breaking or there ever being a way of holding it in place!!!!!!!!!!

Next step is to release the pressure on the lever so I can get right underneath the mechanism etc.

This is obvious, undo the bolt in the centre, with handbrake fully down, until you can remove the two cables from the holder/adjuster. This allows the lever to stand straight up.

Then I discovered where the misterious bit was meant to be!

As you can hopefully tell (!) the part is meant to be sat just on top of the jagged edge pointing out and up. Again not sure hwy no obvious means of securing it (OR for that matter why it isn't machined into the thing in the first place!) but it needs to slide sideways into that. It will only go in one way and will take some patience, fiddling and brute force!

Once in place you should have this

All working! So attaching the cables and adjusting the lever to brakes etc, then everything back it's all sorted.

It took me in total 30 minutes including taking photos.

Hope this is useful for someone?

NOW why on earth did it fall out in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tranzic For This Useful Post:
calmeg1311 (31st May 2010), samark (13th December 2013)
  5 Lastest Threads by Tranzic
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Help Please? Lag II replacement info needed. Cars & motoring Tranzic 4 1261 13th August 2006 11:30 PM
Renault Laguna 2 - Revs Erratic*fixed* Laguna BillJS 18 9214 20th July 2006 05:55 PM
Fuel Vapour Pipe - Lag II Cars & motoring bonedavid 1 1049 16th July 2006 07:48 PM
270 for 4 spark plugs Cars & motoring Lagdti 10 2572 7th July 2006 01:18 PM
Renault Spark Plugs Only? Laguna II Cars & motoring Tranzic 8 2151 27th June 2006 08:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome