Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Wheels and Tyres - Broken handbrake - Fix with pics

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 27th June 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by lagdti
4-5 clicks is inappropriate on many cars that use rear disc brakes.You have to be very careful that as the brakes heat up and expand,that the handbrake doesn't bind on due to over adjustment.Also,some designs of rear suspension can cause a similar problem as they move up and down,so it really is a case of taking into consideration the make of car and type of rear suspension/brakes that are used by it.Some manufacturers specify that a handbrake have no more than 12 clicks,which I must admit sounds a bit excessive to me,but there is always a reason for it somewhere.

Incidently,there is no rule saying that a certain amount of travel or number of clicks fails an MOT test,just that it has to have reserve travel when applied.

Great info Is there a proper way of adjusting the handbrake rather than my pull, tighten, will car roll when off? will car stop and hold against pulling away? etc?

With what you say above I need to make sure mine is set properly!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome