Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear windows dropped

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 23rd November 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by 8woodj View Post
Some months ago just as our Grand Scenic came out of warranty O/S/R windows dropped. Having had a regulator fail on a previous Scenic my immediate thoughts were that the same had happened here. However when I took the door card off everything looked in place but the motor refused to work. Being in a hurry I ended up taking the car to a local garage who "fixed" the rear window in the up position and that is how we left it. Anyhow tonight the same thing has happened to the other rear window. We went to get something out of the car deadlocked the car and watched as the rear window slowly dropped under the power of the motor. Anyhow we can't raise it as the motor now seems dead but unbelievably the motor on the other rear door now works. What gives?? The local garage suggests that a proper fix could be very costly as it an electrial fault. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Hi 8wood.

Sooner or later everyone with a Scenic/Megane11
will encounter problems with their window regulators.

It will be a mechanism fault or more usually a fault in the electronic control module attached to the motor.
The control system has an "anti-pinch" safety feature to prevent sproglets getting their sticky little fingers trapped in the window.

As sure as eggs is eggs the control module will fail.

It may result in total failure in operation or, of it's own volition wind the window down even when you are away from the vehicle.

The control module is held on to the motor unit by One screw and Two plastic clips. It takes about 10 seconds to remove it from the motor once the door card has been removed.

Unfortunately, Renault for reasons best known to themselves do not supply this module except as part of the complete window regulator mechanism.
In the case of a Scenic or Megane that (front) regulator from Renault is 210.15 + vat + plus fitting.

(Until fairly recently that same regulator retailed by Renault for around 187.00)

Perhaps there is a technical reason for their decision not to supply it separately but the sceptic in me thinks it's more to do with finances.

In the last few days I have changed Two nearside front regulators in two Meganes and tomorrow I have a Scenic in for a rear window regulator inoperative.

David, RUK response.
If you read this, will you please ask up the food chain as to what can be done to prevent your customers getting a repair bill approaching 300 when all they need to buy (in a lot of cases) is a little black box!

You should also ponder over the considerable loss of business suffered by Renault due to owners unwilling to pay for a genuine part.

They buy parts made in China on-line for an awful lot less than Renault charge.
You cannot say those parts are inferior to the genuine article, because the genuine article ain't that good either!

Currently in freddybabe's garage:
Hymer Motorhome and MgF.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome