Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 2 - 1.5 dCi Buying Advice

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 23rd November 2009
Doug Sinnott
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Re Megane Sport Tourer

Well,I bought in November 08,a low mileage 2005 1.5Dci Megane Tourer,Flame Red,with the Auto box.
At 5,900 from a dealer,with a 3 month warranty,it looked a good buy,looking as good as new,spotless inside.
Having driven Autos previously,the auto was important to me.

It seemed a nice roomy car,nice looking,with excellent paintwork,and a nice drive,with the auto box,and was fairly spacious,with a good boot.
Considering the car had a full 3 year Renault history,had had it's first MOT,and a further service before I picked it up,unfortunately the car still gave problems almost immediately,within the first couple of weeks.
I had trouble with the auto box(a faulty sensor),a faulty brake switch,a headlight,and a brake light bulb both failed,the driver's window motor failed,the front brakes squealed,all repaired under the warranty thankfully.
The brakes still squeal occasionally,but I can live with it.
The car has behaved itself for the last 9000 miles or so,so fingers crossed!

When I got the car serviced again recently at my local Renault dealers,they told me that the rear discs were corroded,(after only 3 years!)and would need replacing soon,plus the timing belt would need replacing,as the car would be 5 years old at the next service.
Potentially a big bill next year then,500 plus,so I might part ex the car in the New Year.

Sorry to sound negative,as these later cars do get a good review by "What Car",and reliability is said to be no worse than other modern vehicles,and are economical,with cheap insurance,and a safe and comfortable drive.
I suppose it's just the luck of the draw,but I wouldn't buy another Renault,as I have never had so many unrelated problems with a car before.
Currently in Doug Sinnott's garage:
Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 Dci 2005
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome