Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Vel Satis - Buying Advice

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 26th November 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Renault Vel Satis - Buying Advice

Preparation, patience and somewhere under cover are all key to getting a good result.

What you will need to know;

1. what colour your car is, plate is located on the 'B' pillar (Driver's side), as an indicator, mine was Storm Blue D47.

2. what colour primer you will need (it varies according to the basecoat colour), don't worry I can tell you this, once you give me the paint code for the car.

What items you will need;
1. 1 aerosol of primer
2. 1 aerosol of basecoat
3. 1 aerosol of clear lacquer
4. 1" wide masking tape
5. 1 newspaper for masking off large areas
6. Heat gun or hairdrier
7. sandpaper grades from 400 grit - 800 grit

I am presuming the washer cover is unpainted, rather than the wrong colour.

Cut a small hole in a sheet of newspaper and lift the washer cover enough to slip this hole over it, cut some masking tape to square-off the hole, and using enough sheets ensure that a diameter of 2 feet is masked off around this cover (just in case of cross-wind contamination). lightly rub the cover with the 320-grit sandpaper just enough to put some light grazes into the surface, then wipe with a dry, lint-free cloth.
Give the primer a good shake and from a distance of around 10-12" away, give the cover some light dusting coats (around 6 coats allowing 10 mins drying inbetween). Ideally, you want to be spraying in an side-side motion with the paint already being emitted before you reach the cover - hence the area being masked off. This should then have completely coated the surface which is important to avoid paint reactions.
Once the last coat has been applied, leave to dry for an hour, then lightly rub with the 800-grit, just to remove any pitting in the primer's surface, again, wipe clean.
Once the basecoat aerosol has been shaken sufficiently, use the same spraying technique as before (along with drying times).
An hour after the last coat, don't rub down again, just go straight to lacquer - but there are a couple of differences in applying this; only 3 coats (very faint, normal, quite wet - but no runs) and shorter times between coats (only 5 mins max) as you will be using the heat gun to force the drying - this is what gives the shine.

Once that has all been done leave for an hour, then carefully remove the masking tape & surrounding newspaper - job done.

I look forward to hearing what your paint code is.

Best wishes,

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome