Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Vel Satis - Buying Advice

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 27th November 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Vel Satis - Buying Advice

Welcome to a somewhat exclusive 'club' hopefully your experience with your VS wil be a rewarding one. Only time will tell. I bought mine in July '07, having seen 'it' and the Avantime when they were first launched and being impressed by both. At the time there was no way I could afford the 30+K price tag. Then back in 2007 we needed to replace my wife's company car and we were about to buy the Seat Toledo which I think due to poor sales is now discontinued when my wife said "Doesn't that look like that Renault we saw a few years back?"
A quick check and sure enough they had lost loads of money, so we found one. It's reasonably economical for its size and I'm not doing a high annual mileage anyway, but it really comes into its own when cruising down to the South of France. With acres of room for those in the rear. And if you are in a hurry it will eat up the Motorway kilometers with ease, although its not suited to a lot of throwing around.
Touch wood my problems have not been to serious/expensive to rectify and fortunately my local Renault dealer knows about them as one of their directors had one. I think a large percentage of VS sales were to Renault dealers!
I too had some condensation in the headlamp. Try removing the unit (you can only basically slide the unit forward) and remove the back cover enough to blow some warm air (from hairdryer) into it. Problem gone. You might find useful the VS Workshop repair manual (on disc), from fingerprintuk on ebay for 4.99 inc P&P.
Currently in tonycanderson's garage:
2003 Renault Vel Satis V6 3.0dci, 2006 Peugeot 1007 Sport & 2006 Citroen C2 1.4HDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome