Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio - Water leak

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 29th November 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio - Water leak

Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Hi. I have a problem with my clio 1.4 RT 1990. There is a water leak somewhere causing huge puddles on the floor, I have taped up the electric sunroof and its still flooding in. Any help would be appreciated.

..from my personal experience it,s one of 3 things,

Sunroof seal
Sunroof to body seal

1st one relatively easy, remove interior panel with sunroof switch disconnect plug, have a look in there and you will see the nut that secures the aerial, remove the nut and the aerial will pull out..., clean the base of the aerial, and also where it fits on the roof.., then get some clear silicone sealant and cover the bottom of the aerial mount with your sealant, then fit aerial and bolt it back...., you will know you have a good seal as the sealant oozes out.

2nd open the roof and examine the rubber seal that goes around the sunroof, ie bottom of glass roof sits on it.., thoroughly clean any muck off it and any other muck thats there, if your seal looks ok then get a spray can of silicone fluid and squirt it along the entire perimeter of said rubber seal ( use plenty ) this forms a good seal between rubber and glass sunroof.

3rd, and this is the "biggy" if all this fails ( as mine did ) I,m afraid it,s a case of removing the whole sunroof frame.., at first I thought this was too daunting, however with the amount of water I was getting in the car, there was no other option, and looking back it was fairly straight forward.
1, Remove both sunvisors and centre roof console.
2, Remove grab handle each side.
3, Remove rubber seal that trims the edge of the headliner to the sunroof.
4, Dont forget the whole headliner does,nt need to come out you only need to drop the front section enough to allow access. Note= ( The back half is glued to the roof )
5, I think there are 14 x 10mm bolts holding the frame in place, once these are removed you can lift the whole sunroof and frame clear of the car.
6, With the frame on a flat work surface you will see on the underside "RENAULTS" attempt of a weather seal.., remove all traces of this.
7, When your satisfied it,s nice and clean, get your silicone gun and liberally coat this surface,ie, so that when you bolt it down to the roof it oozes out when you replace all the bolts.
8, A nd as they say in all good workshop manuals, refitting is the reversal of removing.

After 4 months of misery and getting a regular soaking I did all the above on mine and touch wood, it,s now good to go, with everything working as it should.
Hope the above is of help to you ?

Good luck
Currently in kenthepipe's garage:
clio 1.4 rt
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome