Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Trafic - Various Questions

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 30th November 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Renault Trafic - Various Questions

Originally Posted by thebaldconvict View Post
Hi all, I'm new here so be gentle LOL

I've just been and picked up a 1995 Trafic T1100 Prima as seen here

It drives fairly well, but have a couple of questions is some kind person who knows more about these than I do

Firstly, what mark is this? Is it a MK1 or maybe a 2? Knowing this might help me find parts for it LOL

Secondly, what engines did these have? The guy I bought it off said it was a 1.9 diesel BUT the V5 says 2048 so not sure, it's certainly slow enough to be a 1.9 LOL Going from my 2.2 diesel turbo Lucida to this has been fun LOL

erm, oh, gearstick.... It's got a loooot of miles on this, about 240000 or so so am not expecting it to drive like new, anyway, under acceleration the gearstick "shudders" if you hold it it wobbles your arm so theres a bit of force behind it, any ideas?

When using the heater on warm theres a lovely smell of old oil comes into the cabin, I guess it's not normal will probably be able to figure it out when I work out how the heating system works

Think thats it for now Would the engine conundrum be helped if I posted a picture of under the bonnet?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Tim.

The Trafic you have is a Mk1 as lagdti says.

Prima was the run-out model designation on the Trafic, a bit like Campus was on the R5 and now Clio.

I am sure the engine in your bus is a 2.1 and not 1.9.
As for the gearlever wobble, possible cause is worn inner driveshaft joint, not unheard of on Trafic's but again as previously mentioned the engine mounts should be checked.

The heater box lives under the bonnet on the trafic and the vent to outside is on the bonnet.
Make sure that the seal between them both is good when bonnet shut otherwise any fumes from the engine will go straight into heater.
Check the engine breather pipes are all sound and connected properly and the oil cap has a good seal.

Have a good look for any missing/poorly fitted grommets between the bulkhead and engine compartment too.

To find correct parts for van you need to look up the Oval Plate Number.
There should be an aluminium plate riveted to the offside flitch panel in engine bay.
There will be depending on model variant Txxx or Pxxx and then underneath more letters and numbers.
It may be in different place or on Vin plate, been a while since I had one in.

Hope this helps.

Currently in freddybabe's garage:
Hymer Motorhome and MgF.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome