Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna Mk1 Front CrossMember Corrosion - MOT failure

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 3rd December 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Laguna Mk1 Front CrossMember Corrosion - MOT failure

Greetings there. My lovely Laguna failed the MOT today. Two things aren't so much of a problem, but the biggy is this:

Nearside front brake valve insecurely mounted [3.6.F.1a]

I don't really understand this in full, but they tell me that the front cross-member is corroded on both sides, and needs replacing. I've read a bit about taking the radiator out in the heating and cooling section, but I was just wondering whether I would need to go through all that to replace this cross member. I've had a look at the haynes manual, but I'm not sure where I'm looking. The radiator removal/re-fitting section has loads of things that I'm just not sure would be necessary. The crux of it is this. With the radiator mounted at the top, will I just be able to unbolt the cross member at the bottom and remove and replace it with another one? At the moment, it's dark, so I can't really check until tomorrow, and realistically, until the weekend in earnest. If anyone could offer any advice, that'd be great. With all the work that's necessary for the MOT, the quote they've given me is more than the car is worth to sell, but I don't want to give 'er up as she's only done 95k, and I've never driven a car as nice!

Mechanically, I'm ok. I do all my own servicing and most parts replacing, and I've got the tools I should need for this job, axle stands, trolley jack, sockets, sledge hammer etc . Hopefully it's not beyond my means!

Thanks for any advice. Tom.
Currently in tombardier's garage:
1996 renault laguna RXE 2.0i
  5 Lastest Threads by tombardier
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna Mk1 Front CrossMember Corrosion - MOT... Bodywork tombardier 17 7623 3rd December 2009 05:44 PM
'97 Laguna 2.0 8v RXE Timing Belt Assistance Engines tombardier 2 2363 27th September 2009 10:04 PM
laguna 1, phase 1 (p-reg rxe 2.0) key... Electronics Lagdti 1 2403 4th January 2009 08:19 PM
Petrol Laguna 1 8v: Engine hesitates... Engines chard 9 2803 22nd May 2008 08:05 PM
Overheating problem since having engine steam... Heating & cooling TheLastSon 5 2399 7th February 2008 11:18 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome