Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - laguna to lagrunda

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 29th June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I see that the car is out of warranty on mileage but not age (I think the third year is limited to 60K.) I had a gearbox fail under similar circumstances, and after some negotiation between my car's leasing company and RCS , Renault made a 50% contribution. Try them, and see if they're prepared to soften the blow

As for keeping the car - it could turn into a moneypit, but the same's true of anything with wheels and an engine.
The 6 speed box is a weak point on early L2 dCi's (not that any Renault gearbox is built to last) but I think they had this sorted before 2003 and the 6 speed is no longer any less reliable than the rest. Turbo failure due to the wrong grade of oil and excessively long service intervals is the other fairly common serious problem. Moving to 5w/40 is supposed to help, but it also pays to do an oil and filter change at least every 9K.

The different grade of oil wouldn't affect the injector. 10w/40 was the right grade of oil until Renault changed their minds due to the turbo problems, so the engine was designed to run on it.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome