Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

View Single Post
post #93 of (permalink) Old 8th December 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Red face Re: Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

Your supplier/engineer is not doing you any favours if they did not stress - Just fitting one new shocker!
Is that wise?

Always change a pair.

Two further points -
There is a special sequence to use when refitting these shock absorbers to a Renault -
They have to be 'SET' particular way - read Haynes. And when you think about it - It makes sense!

From your entry here it is not too late to reset the one you presumably have now installed.

Secondly you have perhaps noticed the damage/crack
occurred at the very point the shaft is welded in the cup
next to the mounting tube. How the hell they can ensure good welding with this design - beats me.
Non Renault shockers tend not to have this cup.
However in the event of the Renault shaft fracturing, then the cup does atleast hold the shaft end captive -
assuming you go easy after the incident. If the non Renault part fractured in the same place then
that wheel would be instantly a no goer. Perhaps even damaging the body work also.

I've had communications with Renault in the past & noted other similar shocker fractures.
Renault simply declared - Age of car!

One suspects however this is a weak point (presumably now modified) - BUT the reset sequence
highlighted in Haynes - Does not appear to be practical on a production line -
hence that assembly may actually be the cause. Certainly I'm not aware of other shock absorbers
that have this particular cup design.

The Cup - Excellent idea though - since after I broke mine on a farm track -
I travelled 200 miles unknowingly with a captive broken shocker. Only discovered when I unloaded
the car and travelled three miles unladden.

Suggest you replace the other shocker too!
PLUS carry out the reset sequence on BOTH then.
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome