Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Buying Advice

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic Purchasing Advice

If there's a sunroof, look for dampness in the footwells. The drains can block and cause this, but so can the scuttle drains from the bottom of the windscreen. Any car that age will have rubber parts hardening and likely to cause problems. To be honest, I'd be very suspicious of such a low mileage anyway.

I had an R reg Alize 1.6 for over ten years with very little trouble - so disregard most of the negative comments about Renaults. Mine died eventually with repeated cylinder head gasket failure, despite supposedly having had the head skimmed. It also suffered from a split exhaust manifold, but these faults were only common on the 8 valve version, and yours should be sixteen valve. A very different engine, and supposedly more efficient, albeit maybe less easy to rectify faults on.

Other common faults seem to be the rear shock absorbers snapping at the narrowed end of the rod. This is easy to detect, it causes a frightening banging sound when taking bumps, but really quite cheap and easy to repair - definately a DiY possiblity. The tailgate struts can go very weak at that age, but again are cheap to replace if you don't use genuine Renault parts.

Good luck, if you get it!
Currently in momist's garage:
2009 Renault Mégane Scénic II Team 1.5 dCi106
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome